Saturday, March 5, 2011

GSTS: River Falls RR - 2nd Win Of The Season

I woke up today in the Haymarket/Harley Team House in Asheville, NC to pouring rain and ruthless fog. The drive over to the race was almost just as scary as descending down the wet, fog ridden hills during the ride. When I got to the start I had decided that regardless of what place I came in this race, I was not going to kill my self on the course and put myself in any danger of very likely crashes. It is a Cat5 race, the season really hasn't even started yet, and there is no prize money. So, my goal going into it was...survive.


This being said, I am quite surprised that I won. All I really did was go with the flow for 20 miles until the 30 man group split into a break of about 6 riders. I moved my way up into 2nd on the final climb, a 1 mile long hill that ended at the Finish Line. As we neared the top I saw the pain in everyone's faces and the way their bodies were moving up and down on their bikes. There was 200m left and I knew the finish line was right around the corner. So, I did what I know how to do very well, I stood up on my pedals, although in extreme physical and mental pain, and pushed to the line as hard as I possibly could. Luckily I came out on top with no crashes or season-ruiners. It was a good day, on a terrible day.

I didn't log this ride on the Garmin, my thinking was that it would just be another distraction apart from the pouring rain and foggy, wet roads that would raise my chances of crashing. Sorry...

No comments:

Post a Comment