Thursday, January 13, 2011

Day 33: Hill Ride With Wade

Thinking of today's title made me laugh because it sounds like a really cheesy old Western movie or something that would be in black and white. Or maybe its just me...Anyways, I woke up today feeling fresh but not having any clue as to what I was going to do for training today. So, I gave Robbie a call and asked him if he wanted to meet me in Arlington for a moderately hard hill workout. Immediately he jumped on it and said "Yes!"

So, we met at his house where we went off into the neighborhoods of Arlington around Washington-Lee and Yorktown High School where there are many short but very steep hill climbs. We rode for an hour and 20 minutes for about 20 miles. I maxed a speed of 34.7mph and averaged 16 for the whole ride which I was pretty happy with due to the volume of hills we did. I'd say 35 minutes of the ride was straight up climbing on some 10% gradient hills that averaged out at about 3% total.

The ride was quick, both speed wise and time wise, and I felt good the whole time. Robbie had done an 11mi run right before it so he was pretty tired. I was able to drop him on a few of the climbs. I stayed in the big ring as much as I could which was most of the time and I stay seated basically the entire time to maximize my effort. Good ride. I'm thinking about taking tomorrow off to get ready for Saturday's DC Velo ride. We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment