Monday, January 24, 2011

Day 43: Definitely Need Rest

Yesterday's ride is the first where I actually feel it a lot this morning. I woke up with a bit of a cold, stuffy nose, tight chest, most likely from the cold air yesterday. My legs are also still feeling it so much, they feel so weak and so fatigued. I'm definitely not going to be doing anything today except going to school, eating, sleeping, and doing homework.

I've been very worried about over training the last couple weeks, I think about it a lot. I was talking to my friend from Ireland, a very talented young cyclist, Eoin McCarthy. He told me that 1 week every month you should give your body a rest week. Now this doesn't mean that you dont do anything for 7 days straight, just that you chill out for 3 or 4 days and then do some easy rides and then get back into the hard training next week. So, following his advice, my overall plan for this week is to have an "off" week or "rest" week and not do any riding until Friday seeing as how I've been on the bike non stop for over a month now. I will be doing some core and strength training but I will keep off the bike. I think it is definitely a good idea to do this for my body's recovery, especially after such a hard ride yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment